"ihÄllande resfeber. the world is a friendly place."

Ilmainen www-laskuri

Sunday, June 16, 2013

SURF, SURF!


Today I did one must thing here at the Gold Coast. I took a surfing lesson!
I booked the course from Currumbin (14km south from Mermaid), because it said in the traveler's bible Lonely Planet that it is the place to go when you begin. And it was a great place, beautiful with perfect, easy waves.
I was a bit worried in the beginning, because I have struggled a bit with my lower back. It got sore like a week ago from some reason, but I have put some hot gel to it and tried some coaxing moves as well. So it got good enough that I didn't need to cancel. And I actually cycled all the way to Currumbin. That makes a real exercise day with total 27km cycling + 1,5 hours of surfing that is really tough sport! (The way back home, and especially the last 5 kilometers were real agony already... )

I first was trying to book for a group lesson ($35) but they didn't have those this weekend. So I was supposed to get a private lesson for $90. In the end I happened to get company from a Spanish Emilio, so we ended up paying for $60 each. So not bad really!

Surfing itself went really well, even the first time I stood up the board, it went really well! I got a bunch of high fives and woo-hoos. Felt really great! In the end of the lesson I even learned a bit to see the becoming waves myself and catch them.
I think surfing is one of the most amazing things I've done in my life. I was bitten by a surf bee. I totally can understand now, why so many go every day carrying the surfing boards to the beach. It is touch sport, fun, and feel so good afterwards. I am really glad that I went. And will go again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home